Abscessed tooth can cause severe pain and swelling on the face. It can also cause medical emergency in case the infection spreads to the blood. Abscessed tooth can be treated by undergoing a dental surgery or other medications.
1. A doctor will prescribe oral antibiotics for treating the infection in the abscessed tooth and avoid infection from spreading.
2. In case the infection spreads from tooth to the root, a root canal may be needed which is done by a dentist or endodontist.
3. Draining of the abscess will be made by the doctor that involves puncturing abscess sac of fluid as well as suctioning it from the mouth.
4. The doctor may suggest the patient to have gargling along with lukewarm water mixed with 1-teaspoon salt to stop the infection in the abscessed tooth.
5. The final treatment is removing the severely abscessed tooth to treat the infection which can be done by a dentist or oral surgeon.